Wednesday, May 2, 2007

License Check on Columns!


Very strange going ons indeed! There was a drivers license check on Columns Drive yesterday. When I drove home from work at a little after 5 o'clock this picture was taken of officers stopping all cars and checking for licenses and insurance/registration. This caused about a 15 minute delay.

When I cycled out to join a group ride the Cobb County officers were still checking. They were not bothering any cyclists, and just waved them on through. At a little after 6 o'clock there were 8 officers checking motorists. They were also writing tickets, and had a few people pulled off the road while they wrote.

I cannot remember the last time I saw a license check and I have certainly never seen one on Columns Drive. I wonder if the residents are experiencing some unexpected blow back for harassing the Cobb County Police concerning cyclists. I have yet to hear of a cyclists getting a ticket- warning yes, but no ticket. I have seen many motorists getting tickets due to the increased police presence.

Last year I did see police out with a radar car and several motorcyclists getting speeders midway down Columns. I would love to see the Cobb Police do this again. In any case, I am glad the police are being more visible there. After the BS ordinance was passed, many residents got very aggressive towards cyclists. This should help them rethink that attitude.

I would love to hear how many motorists got upset over the delay and gave the police grief for stopping cars and not cyclists. The officer I talked to was very nice and waited patiently while I dug through all the crap in my glove compartment looking for my registration. He even chuckled at all the stuff I had jammed in there. I have a very visible bike rack on my car, so he knows I was a cyclist. I was very polite and nice to him, and he checked my stuff and sent me on through.

5 comments:

Jett said...

I am loving this. They've chased away the good Karma and the bad KARma is flowing ;-).

BikeCobb said...

I don't know why they keep calling the police, and they have been, when almost all of the cyclists follow the rules. It is the motorists that do not.

Anonymous said...

I've only ridden at Columns a few times since the ordinance was passed, but it seems to me cyclists are being polite and following the rules.

Anonymous said...

Cobb is horrible for cycling. I only use Columns as a way to get from Roswell down to Buckhead and back. I can't stand riding through Cobb county. Drivers are horrible. How dare someone on a bicycle be on their roads.

Anonymous said...

WTF is going on in that little podunk corner of the world? That's some crazy shit... why would you live there?